Re: DPKG SHOWSTOPPER! (need confirmation and additional analysys)

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu> writes:

> I think I have a solution, etc., but I would like some additional eyes
> on this.

Your solution is a little incorrect.

> void assertpredep(const char *const *argv) {
>   static struct versionrevision predepversion = {~0UL,0,0};
>   struct pkginfo *pkg;
>
>   if (*argv) badusage("--assert-support-predepends does not take any arguments");
>
>   modstatdb_init(admindir,msdbrw_readonly);
>   pkg= findpackage("dpkg");
>   if (!predepversion.epoch == ~0UL) {
>     predepversion.epoch= 0;
>     predepversion.version= nfstrsave("1.1.0");
>     predepversion.revision= 0;
>   }

[...]

> So, it seems to me (and testing seems to confirm this) that the proper
> solution is to change the line:
>
>   if (!predepversion.epoch == ~0UL) {
>
> to:
>
>   if (!predepversion.epoch == 0UL) {

No, it should be
    if (predepversion.epoch == ~0UL) {

The function initializes the static predepversion with bogus data, so
the first time through the function it wants to set the data elements
correctly.  The test is checking for the bogus epoch, so it should be
what I've listed above.  It doesn't really matter; your solution
happens to work also.

Anyway, I'm putting things into rex-updates for a 1.2.4 release on
tomorrow's cron run, so I will go ahead and build a dpkg 1.4.0.7 with
the following patch and your corrected preinst.

Guy