Re: WebStandard 3.0 Proposal

Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> writes:

> We should support reading of documentation without a web
> server, because it's much faster. All browsers I've tried can
> uncompress .html.gz, if they're reading it directly through the
> filesystem. The links thus need to be to .html.gz, but we have
> no tool to fix the links, since the original files have links
> to .html.

Right, we could have a simple script like (using netscape as an
example, and not having clue one about how the html docs are laid
out):

  #!/bin/bash
  # script named hdoc.
  netscape /usr/doc/html/$1/index

so that you could just say

  hdoc date

and get the html docs for date.

At least with netscape, you can also tell the currently running
netscape to go to a new page with the "-remote" option.  That could be
convenient to incorporate into the script.  I assume that the other
browsers have similar functionality...

--
Rob