crypto export question

Ira,

Here's something you can to to help Debian. Please check out
http://www.epic.org/crypto/export_controls/interim_regs_12_96.html .
Please search for the text:

	c.3. ``Software'' designed or modified to protect against malicious
     computer damage, e.g., viruses;

The domain of software designed to protect against malicious computer
damage is very broad. It includes the login program, the protected-mode
architecture of the kernel, the code that writes zeroes over memory
pages before you get them so that you don't see someone else's data,
internet firewalls, etc.  Other parts of the referenced act
specifically exclude access control equipment and digital signature
technology. Please comment on whether the intent or implementation of
this law would block exports of programs such as /bin/login and network
firewalls, or if it is specific to cryptography (which we already
handle by originating and distributing it from a non-U.S. site).

Also, I think we should comment on this before February 17, when the
comment period closes. Would you be interested in working on the comment
with me?

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.