Re: crypto export question

Hi,

[  This is a rant about ITAR, mostly concerning things like pgp, but what
   about when IP-Sec and the like end up in the Linux Kernel ?      ]

>  http://www.epic.org/crypto/export_controls/interim_regs_12_96.html

I just scanned this for comparisons between export and re-export, and it seems
to lump these two activities together.  The only bit that I had trouble with
was the meaning of ``de minimis'', as in:

   (b) There is no de minimis level for the reexport of foreign-origin
       items that incorporate the following ...

I presume that it means that it does not matter how little the item was
modified while in the US.

If re-export is OK, then we could just make ftp.debian.org a mirror of
ftp.debian.org.uk or whatever, but I think the rules prohibit this.

If re-export is not OK, then these rules can be shown to be totally moronic
with the following example:

  I live in the UK.

  Let's say I set up an ftp server here with a copy of PGP, or some
  equally subversive ITAR restricted software on it.

  Then I use a Compuserve dial-up account to access my FTP site (assuming
  Compuserve's Internet connection is going to be in the US), and download
  a copy of PGP (from the computer that is on the other side of the room),
  via the US.

  As far as the US laws are concerned I think I just imported, and re-exported
  a copy of PGP.  I wonder who is guilty in their eyes --- Compuserve I expect,
  since I'm not in their jurisdiction.

Alternatively,

  how about if I manage to convince my routers that the shortest route to a
  non-us site is via one of the routers at whitehouse.gov or similar, does
  that mean that when I download some ITAR restricted software that someone
  in the US government is guilty ?

And this is without considering higher level stuff like squid or nntpcache
servers running in the US, or posting restricted material to unmoderated
newsgroups.

In conclusion, if re-export is OK then I think we should make the master site
be somewhere in the ``free world'', and the US site simply a mirror (even if
in reality the US site is still the default site for people to connect to).

If re-export is not OK (which I strongly suspect is the case), then perhaps
our comments should include pointing out the silliness of this, although I
suspect we'll need to be rather diplomatic about it ;-)

Cheers, Phil.