What is going on here?

Good morning folks,

unfortunately I can't afford reading Debians mailing lists too often
(normally every once in a while or once per week).

I'm really confused about what is going on here, what I've read
yesterday.

I fear that Debian get's a monarchy and we all have to say "yes, Sir"
or quit the project.  In former times there were discussion on
important things.  This time, I see _very_ important changes where the
project leader only says that "xyz is done this way, now go on folks".

* I didn't see any discussion on the BoD?

  Bruce said:

  "The four members who have the most votes will be elected to
  two-year terms"

  Why shall they be elected for two-year terms? Two years is a long
  time?  Many of us can't promise that they'll be here after one
  year.  Look at Ian Jackson who has done much of work in the past.
  At the moment he can't afford working for debian, just reading and
  answering some mails.

  "It is my intent that all board positions in subsequent years have
  two-year terms, and that we elect half of the board each year."

  This makes sense, but again, two years is a long time!  I don't
  think that this period is useful.

  "Developers are those who are currently maintaining at least one
  package."

  Hey folks, this is not fair!!! We have several people who work for
  Debian but do not maintain _any_ package.  What's about them?  For
  example: most of the m68k people don't maintain any package, but
  they really work for Debian, on the m68k port.  There are also
  several people that take a look at some packages and work on ways to
  control them (--> admintool story).  I heavily object against this.

  Remember developer != package maintainer.

  "Debian should continue to be run by the developers. The purpose of
  the board is to provide a stable framework to support election of
  officers and business functions, and to provide broad direction on
  policy in response to input from the developers. Officers should
  make day-to-day policy decisions."

  What is this about?  Hey folks, we even don't know what we want but
  there will be an election of who get's power do decide major stuff.
  I cannot believe this.

* The CD Issue

  I didn't see a discussion with the result of a decision.  After some
  maintainer have objected, Bruce _decided_ something.  Why?  And why
  in that short time?

  Are developer nothing worth but maintaining their packages and be
  quiet?  If so I'll be the first one quitting the project.  This
  doesn't help us producing a perfect distribution.

Regards,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/ Unix is user friendly ...  It's just picky about it's friends /