Re: Repost + New suggested additions: WebStandard 3.0 Proposal

> joost >BTW, I don't even think I'll have to modify the menu-package, I'll
> joost >just have to make a /etc/menu-methods/dwww file that should probably
> joost >go in dwww (or some other package, but maybe the menu package is
> joost >the best place)

I tried the menu generation stuff out.  Seems to work pretty good.  There
seems
to be considerable overlap with the .dwww-index that dwww provides.  The nice
part
is that the menu package is more mature and provides the system administrator
some
control over the presentation.  Plus it has support for defaults for packages
that have no menus, and support for internationalization.  Plus it's easier for
developers if all of the package stuff is in one place.

One thing that the current facility doesn't provide that the .dwww-index method
provides is support for longer descriptions of the package.

> Why dwww? (Sorry I dont exactly know what dww does being caught in my own
> man2html).

Well dwww accomplishes what the symlink to /usr/doc in the web standard
accomplishes - but since everything is parsed via a cgi script, it's more
flexible, and possibly more secure.  The dwww approach lends itself
to doing fancier things such as keyword searches, full-text searches,
fancy indexes and multiple views of the data.  Of course, it's pretty
immature and there's lots of room for improvement.

> joost >  dwww Apps/Viewers gv none GhostView /usr/doc/gv/gv.html
>
> Perhaps this could be rather
>
> web Apps/Viewers none GhostView /usr/doc/gv/gv.html ?

I don't see why not.  After all, don't the fvwm{,2,95} entries read
the X11 entries in the menu files?

Cheers,

 - Jim