Re: paid support for Debian

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> There's been a number of objections to having the Debian project provide
> any form of paid support. I had originally intended to work this by having
> Dale Scheetz as the consultant, and having some sort of contract between
> Dale and the project. At this point, it's looking as if it makes more
> sense for us to simply mount a Debian support company outside of the
> project.

I have been having discussions about this with a consultant who wishes to
resell some of my gold CDs. We both agree that this should be something
outside Debian, with possible commitments being made with the Debian Group
to provide services.

> The reasons for this are mostly business ones. The project doesn't have
> credit card processing, the project doesn't have a business license,
> the project doesn't have a commercial bank account. I have all of these
> things for my own business. I can provide credit-card processing for Dale
> and get him started with a 900 number and a regular business line. I'm
> not interested in making money from the deal, I just want to see it
> happen. Dale, however, should make money.

I certainly appreciate any concept that puts me and money in the same
place. With limited resources of time this is going to take more than my
efforts to make it go. My contact does have all the credit card access and
can set up phone line services pretty easily. Although he is more
interested in a "coupon" to be distributed with a CD that would entitle
the user to one phone consultation, or three email requests. Using this as
a contact point to arrange for more service, as necessary

> So if this is OK with you guys, we'll just get started setting up the help
> desk and not involve the project except for one thing - we want you to
> publicize the phone number and address. If any other Debian help desks
> pop up, you can publicize them too.

We should publicize them on the debian web page just like we do CD
manufacturers.
I would also like to hear from anyone on the project who feels competent
to anwser new user questions and would like to make some additional
income. I can stretch myself and be available for 4 hours, but I would
like to have enough people contributing so that no one needs to be
available for more than 2 hours per day (this means each participant would
have a time slot during the day when they would need to be available by
phone). It would be nice to have "backups" as well as "primaries" for
those busy times when two calls come in at once.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Luck,

Dwarf