Re: What is going on here?

From: joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE (Martin Schulze)
[Is this a monarchy?]

Entering a discussion late is often not helpful :-)

The purpose of electing a board is to prevent a monarchy. Please do not
interfere with my present effort to end my dictatorship!

> "The four members who have the most votes will be elected to
> two-year terms"

This is so that next year we only have to elect _half_ of the board
positions (those 4 seats who had one-year terms), and we will maintain
continuity of 1/2 the board from year to year after that by having two-year
terms for all directors from then on, with half of the seats turning over
in any one year.

This is a pretty common practice, and people on debian-private requested
alternating terms for continuity's sake.

I agree two years is a long time, but I think elections every 6 months
for members with one-year terms would not be helpful. They need some
time to be a sitting board.

> "Developers are those who are currently maintaining at least one
> package."

I know one board candidate doesn't currently have any packages and thus
technically should not vote. Since WE DON'T HAVE A CONSTITUTION, I would
like to elect a board using the simplest rules possible so that they can
design a constitution and make it fair to everyone. Having a constitutional
convention at this point without an elected board would be unproductive.

Let's face it, there are no evil people running for the board. If you
picked 8 of the 13 candidates out of a hat we'd have a good board. Let's
please empower them.

I see no reason to tweak the election rules now. Let 8 directors be
chosen out of the 13 people to whom you can't possibly have much
objection, and then let them take the time to draft a constitution
that is fair.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.