another dependency checker

There is a perl script in my home directory on master that takes
input from standard in and writes to standard out.  The input is
intended to be a package file (or multiple package files).  The
output from dpkg-scanpackages can also be piped into to.  It
checks each dependency and predependency for each package in the
packages file.  It searches the "provides" for virtual packages
to satisfy dependencies, and failing that, searches each package
in the input file.

The input for stable should only be Packages.stable (or whatever
its called) so that no other distribution can satisfy a
dependency.  This could also be used to check home grown packages
against a distribution, etc.  Anyone know of a way to get the
output of dpkg-scanpackages mixed with the output from "cat
Packages.file" piped into this at the same time?  That would be
useful, I think.

The comparisons are a brute force (and fairly ugly)
implementation of the comparisons described in the programmer's
manual.  This seems to work, but I'd sure like it if somebody
else tried it out to see for sure.  If it doesn't understand how
to deal with a package version, it usually winds up gagging on
it.  Usage and output are as follows:

bash$ cd /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/
bash$ cat Packages.stable|depcheck
Package ax25-kernel-source 1.2.1 has dependency source   not satisfied
Package ax25-util 0.28.0 has dependency source   not satisfied
Package ilu 2.0.0.6-1 has dependency python >=1.3 not satisfied
Package mailpgp 1.0-1 has dependency pgp-us   not satisfied

This is a 1.2.2 Packages file (I think).

bash$ cat Packages.non-free Packages.stable|depcheck
Package ax25-kernel-source 1.2.1 has dependency source   not satisfied
Package ax25-util 0.28.0 has dependency source   not satisfied
Package ilu 2.0.0.6-1 has dependency python >=1.3 not satisfied
Package mailpgp 1.0-1 has dependency pgp-us   not satisfied
Package auto-pgp 1.04 has dependency pgp   not satisfied
Package mailcrypt 3.4-1 has dependency pgp   not satisfied
Package xmikmod 0.01B-1 has dependency xforms   not satisfied

This tells you that there are things in non-free that depend on
things not in stable or non-free (in addition to that which is
not satisfied in stable).  If there is any interest, I'd be happy
to work on improving this.  I had thought that the output might
be more useful in a less human readable form, but that's a simple
change.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.