Re: Continuous Releases?

On 29 Jan 1997, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> > How about not having release dates at all? If a developer feels his
> > package is ready for stable then he should upload it into stable
> > which submits the package to our beta-testing group. If they approve
> > it then it will be available in stable.
>
> All packages should be considered "unstable" until they are tested
> unless the security officer decides otherwise (to fix security holes).

All packages are, IMO, unstable until i've successfully installed them
on my system.

(also IMO, "Stability" as far as debian is concerned is primarily about
whether a package installs OK without breaking dpkg/dselect. Whether the
package performs as advertised is another matter entirely.)

> We have shown that this does not work. Let's try something more
> conservative.

actually, it's been *asserted* that this does not work. we've never
actually tried it...

...except for those of us who ignore stable and just keep on ugrading
whenever we feel like it out of our own mirrors. if you ignore those of
us who are proving that it does work, then i guess you could say that
doesn't work, that it's completely untested, and that such a radical
idea is not even worth thinking about.

craig

ps: just in case this is misinterpreted....the sarcasm is written in a
humorous tone, not pissed off or angry etc. no flame intended.

pps: hmmm. maybe everyone can have what they want....maybe there
should be another debian distribution called "DebianLive" which is
available from ftp.debian-live.org (a virtual ftp server with unstable,
non-free, contrib on it). This isn't sarcasm.  I think it's a good idea.

Document the concept so that even the most lack-witted members of the
human species can recognise that it's really only meant for people who
have a fast or permanent net connection who are capable of mirroring it
themselves.

The usual 'stable', 'unstable' stuff goes on before, but with the added
benefit of many more willing beta-testers to test DebianLive before it
becomes ... ummm...  DebianStillQuiteWarm.  :-)