Re: Continuous Releases?

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> All packages are, IMO, unstable until i've successfully installed
> them on my system.

I'm not sure how this metric would successfully apply to Debian
project development.

> (also IMO, "Stability" as far as debian is concerned is primarily
> about whether a package installs OK without breaking
> dpkg/dselect. Whether the package performs as advertised is another
> matter entirely.)

Stability should be a reflection of the status of the package.  That
includes installing correctly, but should also mean that the contents of
the package are quality-tested.  The testing should catch things such as
maintainer-created security holes.

We really must end the practice of sending a package straight (not
counting automated checks) from the package maintainer to the user.
Even the best package maintainers make mistakes from time to time.
Packages should be tested by humans before they go to the public.

>> We have shown that this does not work. Let's try something more
>> conservative.

> actually, it's been *asserted* that this does not work. we've never
> actually tried it...

I don't understand.  Debian has never had any serious testing of
packages.  Maybe we are using different meanings for "stable" and
"unstable".

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan (quinlan@pathname.com)   At work (quinlan@transmeta.com)