Re: Continuous Releases?

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Craig Sanders:
> What i'm saying is that we would be better off thinking of debian as a
> live distribution rather than a static one.

I assert the following, but I don't have any facts to back it:

	Most admins do not have the time, energy, or interest to
	track a live distribution. They need clearly identified,
	well-tested releases. They need to know when they can
	upgrade with few problems. They don't want to do this
	very often, at most a few times a year. What they do
	want, is a system that just works, so that they can do
	profitable work.

To run unstable, you need to follow at least debian-devel-announce
(so that you know when packages are updated that may fix problems
you're having), and maybe the bug system. Most people don't have
the time to do that.

At the moment, we have releases, but they aren't well-tested.
I hope we can fix that by testing them well, not by asking
people to subscribe to debian-devel. We also have unstable,
which sometimes is not installable at all.

I'm going to assume that we're going to have proper releases.
I'm not going to advocate them further; I intend to spend my
time usefully, and I've already argued at length about this
issue -- search the archives.