Re: Continuous Releases?

[i'm in a hurry right now, so can't respond to all of the points you made]

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> I'm going to assume that we're going to have proper releases. I'm not
> going to advocate them further; I intend to spend my time usefully,
> and I've already argued at length about this issue -- search the
> archives.

You must have misunderstood what i said.

I think that having a frozen, "stable" release is a good thing. For
exactly the reasons you stated, and other reasons.

However, I think that "frozen" should MEAN "frozen". Once a release is
made, that's it...it's done, no more changes ever for any reason at all.
Users should be referred to "live" aka "unstable" for any updates.

frozen/stable/Debian1.x should be made up at release time, mostly as
a direct copy of "live" but with a few hand-selected older versions
which are known to be better/less problematic than the ones in "live".
Ideally, unstable will have been tested enough that we can select good
versions to go into the release.

The same code-name and sym-linking scheme we use now will still serve to
reduce bandwidth wastage on the mirrors.

In other words, the process is not significantly different than what we
do now. The main differences are that the frozen release IS actually
frozen, and not just another moving target; and more importantly the
release version isn't a simple snapshot but a hand-selected collection
of known-to-be-good packages. This selection process can take place over
a week or two and when we've got it right make the announcement that
"Version 1.x" is now available.

Craig