Re: Continuous Releases?

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Craig Sanders:
> However, I think that "frozen" should MEAN "frozen".

Substituting "rex" for "frozen", it is. Stable isn't -- it
gets fixed when there are problems (and there always will be,
regardless of the amount of testing).

We have rex, rex-updates, and rex-fixed, with stable pointing
at rex-fixed. We need all three.

rex-fixed doesn't get updated all that often, and it shouldn't.
(Five updates in six weeks isn't often.)

The only problem we have is the lack of systematic testing
of what becomes rex, and the fixes put into rex-updates
afterwards. What we have is wishful thinking: we have frozen
for a month, and wish that people both try it, and report any
problems. Your "hand-selected older versions" might work a bit
better than the current system, but not nearly well enough --
we still wouldn't have any idea of what works and what doesn't.

I'm writing a proposal on how to introduce systematic testing.

> Users should be referred to "live" aka "unstable" for any updates.

No.