Re: Compression through e2compr

I have released a package e2compr which replaces e2fsprogs that implements
just what you are talking about. I am not very pleased with the
compression factors though.

On 31 Jan 1997, Mark Eichin wrote:

eichin >
eichin >> If there was a way, to have this file system recognize a 'compress' bit on
eichin >> the file type, that could be set during file creation... that would make
eichin >> things easier and worth while.
eichin >
eichin >Umm, e2fs already *has* attribute bits on files.  Not only that, man
eichin >chattr sez:
eichin >
eichin >       A  file  with  the `c' attribute set is automatically com-
eichin >       pressed on the disk by the kernel. A read from  this  file
eichin >       returns uncompressed data. A write to this file compresses
eichin >       data before storing them on the disk.
eichin >
eichin >Of course, it also says
eichin >       As of ext2 fs 0.5a, the `c' and `u' attribute are not hon-
eichin >       oured by the kernel code.
eichin >
eichin >Presumably the code being discuss just fills in that lack...
eichin >
eichin >
eichin >--
eichin >Please respect the confidentiality of material on the debian-private list.
eichin >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
eichin >debian-private-REQUEST@lists.debian.org . Trouble? e-mail to Bruce@Pixar.com
eichin >
eichin >

Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.