Re: Central register of package use

Why not just finish the install by _asking_ the user if he/she
wants to register their system?  That would be pretty easy.
There could also be an option to register later.  We could have a
very simple script do a dpkg -l and identify the installed
version or something and send mail to register@debian.org.  The
user should fill in the user name and company.  We should tell
them that its totally voluntary and used for internal purposes
and that the information is kept private -- not sold or rented to
commercial parties (like many other "registration" processes).

This could be a very simple dialog script after the install phase
is complete (after quitting dselect for the first time). If the
hostid on PCs is unique, then maybe the registration should track
it as a "head count" mechanism?  If the same user registers the
same system 20 times, it would only be logged once (with each
successive package profile succeeeding the last).

This would require storing this data somewhere.  If that's not
the idea, then maybe this could just do a head count and package
count and chuck the data?  We obviously wouldn't need to worry
about the hostid in such a case.

By the by, this doesn't mean people are using every package they
install, but it makes it easier for a user to register this way.

Just a thought.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.