Re: Central register of package use

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Steve McIntyre:
> Once it all works, the idea is to make a package consisting purely of
> a cron entry and documentation.

A sysadmin should have to do something to enable this. If a sysadmin
has to disable it, then someone is going to overlook it, and be very
worried about it when they find out. Very worried people tend to make
noises.

It should not even be enough to just install the package. That can
quite easily happen by mistake with dselect.

You should require the sysadmin to edit the crontab, and have copious
warnings about what is going to happen in the crontab. Anything less
will mean taking unnecessary risks with bad publicity. We only have
one reputation to destroy.