Re: new maintainer verification

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Bruce Perens:
> My main concern is that a rogue maintainer could get a login on master
> (we don't check their background much now) and then upload a package
> with a time-bomb or trojan horse.

Unless we can have trusted people review all the source code
(and compile binaries from reviewed source code), we're going
to be open to an attack. I doubt we can find enough trusted
reviewers.

> The FTP archive (not Incoming) could be made group-write-only, with 10
> or so people we know well in the group. However, my main concern is that
> we verify the identity of the people we give login privileges on master.

The easiest way might be to disallow logins altogether, except
for a small number of trusted people. Uploads could be done via
anonymous FTP; identity of uploader would be proved by the PGP
signature on .changes (with some way to handle the French).