Re: guaranteed technical support

Steve Greenland, you wrote:
>[SNIP]
>>   support, mature development tools, and SMP.
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Gcc, gdb, flex, bison, emacs etc. aren't mature? Compared to
>what? The computer crashing mess called MS Visual C/C++? Hah!
It's silly wording, I'd say... should read 'High level development tools'.

And yes, there is a lack of those... except for, say 'xforms' which is
rather slow.  Most of us here, know the difference between the program,
and the user interface to the program... and where the line is drawn.
But lets face it, for most users... even people who work around these
computers and should know, see the 'button' as the program.  And to
them the true programming is 'placing a button on a canvas'.  Those
aren't 'mature' development tools, but they _are_ high level front
ends to development tools

And GNU software is good... but some parts are still in the same steps
as they were years ago... and some are overdone, and not practical.

But, if Linux would come out standard with a high level motif like front
end, to its functions... that was implemented in a fast language (not in
script language), then the final shuffle for the DOS grave would have been
dug. :-)  I'd sure buy motif, rather than Win95... wouldn't you?