Re: gated license

It would be good if Dermot could check what the Gated people have to say
to this. Other people like Red Hat surely had the same issues.

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

bruce >This is an excerpt from a message I sent to the board members.
bruce >
bruce >	Bruce
bruce >
bruce >I think you need to read the [gated] license a bit more carefully.
bruce >Look at Appendix A:
bruce >
bruce >"2. The Software shall not be distributed, sold or used in any way in a
bruce >commercial product, without UMCP's prior written consent."
bruce >
bruce >Later on, it says:
bruce >
bruce >"Royalty-free licenses to redistribute UMD OSPF are available from the
bruce >University of Maryland, College Park."
bruce >
bruce >We don't have any idea yet what the UMD license looks like.
bruce >Because the Gated license says you must comply with the copyrights
bruce >in Appendix A, you don't have to sign just one license - you need at
bruce >least two. I don't think Gated works at all without OSPF.
bruce >
bruce >I think the best we could do with this would be to execute both licenses
bruce >and put the package in non-free. This would be necessary because we can't
bruce >grant third parties the right to redistribute this software under the
bruce >MERIT and UMD licenses.
bruce >--
bruce >Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
bruce >Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.
bruce >PGP fingerprint = 88 6A 15 D0 65 D4 A3 A6  1F 89 6A 76 95 24 87 B3
bruce >
bruce >
bruce >--
bruce >Please respect the confidentiality of material on the debian-private list.
bruce >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
bruce >debian-private-REQUEST@lists.debian.org . Trouble? e-mail to Bruce@Pixar.com
bruce >
bruce >

Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.