Re: [Fwd: Phone Company Internet Service Charge] (fwd)

On 6 Feb 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> "Richard G. Roberto" <richr@Bear.COM> writes:
>
> > I was wondering if this would be OK to post on debian-user?
>
> Holy smokes!  To the bat cave!!  What's this?  The urban legend alarm
> is wailing?  An email sent by someone without an official personage,
> describing a vague ominous threat, with an imminent deadline, and no
> where to get more official information?  Damn.  False alarm.
>
> Always check anything like this out before forwarding it onward.  It's
> extremely extremely unlikely that this has any truth at all to it.

There was some truth to it.  Companies like Bell Atlantic (my local phone
company) are complaining that ISP's consume to much bandwith and they
want to make them contribute to some national infrastructure coffer the
same percentage they do.  Right now, the ISP's have to contribute very
little b/c they are classified under some small use act (forgot the
name).  The Baby Bells are complaining that, that is obviously not true
anymore.  If they convince the FCC that this true, our rates will go up,
possibly being have to be charged by the minute.  Unless you get yout
business to be your ISP that is. :-)

Shaya