Re: RFC: Proposal for signed packages

On 12 Feb 1997, Christian Leutloff wrote:

> > - One Debian developer should be choosen to sign with that key every
> > new release of a package. (Perhaps Guy Maor, via his dinstall script?).
>
> this requires an automated procedure. Guy can't check all packages
> manually. So it's possible to get a trojan signed by Guy oder the
> Debian project. It's really bad for debian to officially sign a
> trojan!! So it's better to get all packages signed by persons
> individuelly. In the cases where it isn't possible there can be
> someone signing for another developer.
>
> Please, don't do (mostly) automated signing!!

Sure not! automated signing are the best way to authentified Trojan
horse! In place, signed the md5sums of all packages. That's only to
ensure that's everything looks ok.

I'll make again my old proposal who was never replied (no pros no cons)
but I'm still thinking is a good idea:
3 distributions:

	1 unstable, where gone incoming packages.
	1 frozen, where gone well known stable packages
	1 stable, where gone stable *and* secure signed packages

Release will be made from frozen to stable. Developpers always send new
packages to unstable and must send a request to the test board for
upgrading to frozen. Changes file will help against this decision.

Why having a unstable and a permanent frozen? To avoid bugs introduce by
upstream version, newbie maintainers (like me) and unstable release.
Often, we just can't know how many bugs we have and how much time it will
take to solve them.

I would like some reply cause my english are still in Alpha and I can
make mistake. Thanks!

 Little Billy goes to the zoo:
   "Looks mom! An elephant like those on the Web!"
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur aka le Corbeau
E-mail: fab@tzone.org
WebPage: http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01
Finger me for my pgp key (finger ninf01@gel.usherb.ca)
fingerprint =  1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70