Re: Unidentified subject!

Hi Bruce, You wrote:
 Bruce>
 Bruce> I think Debian would be better served by RPM as a
 Bruce> package system for many reasons. We could abandon this
 Bruce> deb-make/dpkg/dselect sillyness. We could be using the
 Bruce> package system that Red Hat, Caldera, and _EVERY_OTHER_
 Bruce> Linux distribution that has a package system is using now.
 Bruce> We could have the capability for those other distributions
 Bruce> to use Debian packages, and for us to directly install their
 Bruce> packages without kludges like "alien". We could immediately
 Bruce> have a better package-selection user interface. We could have
 Bruce> _one_ kind of dependency, instead of 4 (soon 5 if we are to
 Bruce> implement "Breaks:").

I don't know about the rest of "Linux world", but I like Debian
packaging system as it is and do not want it to be
RedHat-like-Debian GNU/Linux. Regarding dependencies, I don't
remember Debian being Easy-To-Use-And-Understand linux. That's not
the goal if you ask me, _Any_ Unix is hard to use and understand.

 Bruce> What we are doing now is going off in our own non-standard
 Bruce> direction and continuing to re-invent our own invention. Red
 Bruce> Hat did the package system better, and simpler than we did,

Better? The only advantage I see is simpleness.

 Bruce> and the entire rest of the Linux world has adopted their work.
 Bruce> Who else is using dpkg?
 Bruce>
 Bruce> Rather than talk about re-inventing deb-make, we should
 Bruce> be exploring how to convert deb-make packages to RPM ones
 Bruce> automaticaly.
 Bruce>
 Bruce> Guys, we lost the fight. It's time to admit it.

What fight?! I always thought that there IS no fight between Debian
and RedHat, each distribution had it's own goal (again, at least so I
thought).

And if we "lost the fight" as you say, hell! Who needs us anymore
then, lets all switch to Redhat and some day we will tell our
grandsons that WE had a "fight" with _the_ RedHat, and that we
even almost won!

borik

Boris D. Beletsky                          borik@isracom.co.il
Network Administrator                      borik@cs.huji.ac.il
Hebrew University                          borik@debian.org
Jerusalem, Israel                        phone: +972 2 6411880