Unidentified subject!

I think Debian would be better served by RPM as a package system for
many reasons. We could abandon this deb-make/dpkg/dselect sillyness. We
could be using the package system that Red Hat, Caldera, and
_EVERY_OTHER_ Linux distribution that has a package system is using
now. We could have the capability for those other distributions to use
Debian packages, and for us to directly install their packages without
kludges like "alien". We could immediately have a better
package-selection user interface. We could have _one_ kind of
dependency, instead of 4 (soon 5 if we are to implement "Breaks:").

What we are doing now is going off in our own non-standard direction
and continuing to re-invent our own invention. Red Hat did the package
system better, and simpler, than we did, and the entire rest of the
Linux world has adopted their work. Who else is using dpkg?

Rather than talk about re-inventing deb-make, we should be exploring
how to convert deb-make packages to RPM ones automaticaly.

Guys, we lost the fight. It's time to admit it.

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.