Switching to RPM (was Unidentified Subject!)

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> I think Debian would be better served by RPM as a package system for
> many reasons. We could abandon this deb-make/dpkg/dselect sillyness.

Hmm.  Although I have my beefs with dselect, I'm not sure I'd call
dpkg silly.  I think it's a pretty impressive system.

> and for us to directly install their packages without kludges like
> "alien".

That is, if they have exactly the same ideas about non-packaging sysem
level issues like init scripts, locations of files, documentation
compression standards, etc.  I thing there are a number of *hard*
issues that this glosses over.

> We could have _one_ kind of dependency, instead of 4 (soon 5 if we
> are to implement "Breaks:").

These extra dependencies don't gain us anything significant?  That
wasn't my impression.  Also, from what I'd heard before, their
handling of conf files is totally broken.  It was just hearsay,
though, not actual experience.

> Who else is using dpkg?

If our system is demonstrably better, then I don't care, but...

> Guys, we lost the fight. It's time to admit it.

If you can convince me that we don't lose too much going to RPM, then
I'll be happy to switch.  I'd like to hear someone explain the
technical advantages of dpkg first, though.  I'd like to know what I'm
giving up.

--
Rob