Re: Switching to RPM (was Unidentified Subject!)

'Rob Browning wrote:'

>> Guys, we lost the fight. It's time to admit it.

I won't admit to a lie.  We didn't lose.  We're winning.  Debian was
very positively reviewed in the 1997 Buying Guide.  How can we abandon
our strengths like this?

>If you can convince me that we don't lose too much going to RPM, then
>I'll be happy to switch.  I'd like to hear someone explain the
>technical advantages of dpkg first, though.  I'd like to know what I'm
>giving up.

I think we lose more by switching.  I can't imagine the horrendous
complexity in making the conversion.  It's hard enough to maintain
dynamic upgradeability without totally changing the packaging.  Plus
one of the oft-forgotten things is the LEARNING CURVE.  Even if rpm is
better (which it isn't IMHO), our distribution will become so horribly
broken because the maintainers will take years to get up to speed on
the new packaging scheme.

Bruce, give up the switch to rpm.  It would kill our credibility and
quality.  Plus, technically dpkg is better anyway (modulo Ian's
neglect of it for the past several months).

If Bruce persists in this ill-guided move to rpm, I'll maintain an
independent distribution based on what we have now.  I'm not going to
sacrifice my business to this ludicrous plan.  I need Debian not drpm.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS