Re: dpkg issues

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Christoph <debian@waterf.org>
> > They have been pointed out over and over and over again. There are obvious
> > design flaws in dpkg that are not addressed. There are issues with dselect
> > that are never addressed. There is a huge bug list that is not worked on.
>
> > Instead of working on the issues Ian attacks those trying to offer
> > solutions
>
> I'm afraid I have to agree with these points. It's been obvious for a while
> that dpkg is the biggest problem with Debian. I sincerely believe we should
> have given up the fight and made the switch to RPM a while ago. I think it's
> time to do so now.

Bruce, this is one of the few areas where you and I are at extreem ends of
the spectrum.
It is my perception that dpkg is one of the tightest, well designed
features of the Debian distribution. I have no trouble admitting the many
and varied flaws in the interface for dselect, and it is my understanding
that we have several people working on alternatives.
It is also my perception that many of the "problems" laid at dpkg's
doorstep actually stem from inappropriate use of various packaging
features resulting in a mess that dpkg could not clean up. The broken perl
package, for instance resulted in the appearance that dpkg failed during
the installation process.
While I appreciate your marketing reasons for thinking that RPM is a "good
idea", there simply are NO good technical reasons for changing to their
packaging scheme. You think we have problems now, just wait till you try
to manage this project with RPM.
I am strongly enough opposed to RPM that I would be forced to find
something more useful to do with my time, if Debian decided to adopt RPM
as their packaging standard.

Luck,

Dwarf