Re: Switching to RPM (Was Unidentified subject!)

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, David Engel wrote:

> As for getting the rest of the world to use dpkg, we must do two
> things.  First, we have to make it much, much easier (read trivial) to
> initially build and maintain Debian packages.  Debmake, not counting
> Ian J's problems with its "design" and implementation, is a big step
> in the right direction, but IMO, we must go further and make things
> even easier.  Second, we need to get Debian into the hands of
> prominent Linux developers at no cost to them so they can see the
> quality of our product and start to use it themselves.  It's not
> surprising that a lot of users choose RedHat because they see so many
> influtential Linux developers using it also.

 Debian should be always in the edge (is this correct English? =)) for
this to happen.. that means to have the newes kernel support programs as
.deb's. If we had a simple way to make package, we could convince the
developpers of these programs to directly support Debian too.

Perhaps it sould be nice to have a utility that helps maintaining a
Debian/Redhat package with little effort. Perhaps sharing source code for
the package, perhaps with a build utility that starts from a RH source
package with the necesary Debian additions.

Nicolás Lichtmaier.-
nick@feedback.com.ar