Re: What is necessary if we are to keep dpkg/dselect

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) wrote:
>1. In one whole year nobody has been able to come up with a simpler
>   replacement for dselect. This is not because a simpler replacement
>   isn't possible, it's because dselect is wired into the dpkg internals
>   and nobody's managed to isolate those internals into library form and
>   document them. The user friendliness problems of dselect are not
>   necessary to the operation of the system. They should be repaired.

Having tried to do some rather significant work on what would become my
rendition of a selection scheme, I've found that isolating the dpkg
internals within dselect is not trivial. It's very slow going; I very
much doubt I'll have made significant progress before the end of the
month (== start of uni == me dropping out of the project pretty much
altogether.)

The items I think would need to be isolated from the program itself are:

  * Construction of a list of packages, using a standard struct definition.
  * Searching for unresolved dependancies, recommendations, and suggestions,
    as well as conflicts.

Can anybody think of anything else? I can at least make a start in the
remaining week or so, documenting what I'm doing/what I've done as I go,
so that somebody else can take over where I leave off..