Re: dpkg issues

Shaya Potter wrote:

> I think christoph may have been on the right track b/4.  Lets create a
> dialog with Red Hat to make a new package managment system, call it
> RPM2.  It should address all of our and Red Hat's concerns and try to
> bring more harmony to the tulmutous Linux universe.
>
> This may be wishfull thinking though,

I fear it almost certainly is.  I don't think RedHat tried to push RPM
as the "Linux standard" out of the goodness of their hearts.  My
deep, paranoid fear is that RedHat views RPM as a weapon to force all
other linux distributions to become bug-for-bug RH clones, or to be
entirely wiped out.  So compromising with us would be against their
interests.

In fact, there is an inherent flaw in the entire _concept_ of the
"universal/standard Linux package manager".  Such a thing requires
universal names and understanding of packages, so that dependencies
work correctly, right?  Every linux distribution would have to use
the exact same naming and versioning scheme.  Oh, and because some
packages might require access to various low-level system stuff
(init, security systems like PAM) these things will have to be
completely the same in every distribution as well.

In other words, any entity which could get enough leverage on the
standard could use that power to dictate how 99% of all linux systems
worked.  They would have unprecedented power in the Linux community,
more even than Linus.  They would become our Microsoft.

Perhaps, as someone stated, Linux needs less diversity right now.  This
would certainly make it more agreeable to the grey flannel suit types
who decide what platforms their applications run on.  But I can't help
thinking that "less diversity" may be the first step on the slippery
slope to "no diversity".  How does that quote go, something about
gaining the world and losing your soul...

--Galen

(I apologize for the length and off-topic nature of this rant, but I've
been thinking about this for a while and needed to get it off my chest.
There are probably lots of flaws in my reasoning, and anybody who wants
to point them out should certainly do so.)