Re: Unidentified subject!

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:
> > The sources for this system should be in ONE source tree so that it can be
> > build with one command (known as "make world" in all BSD and most
> > professional Unix systems). This will give us one essential system
> > where everything fits together and where you have no problems because one
> > developer compiled a package in this or that special evironment. It would
> > also make sure that all packages are really compileable.
> >

> I have a serious problem with this.  Back when I was first trying to
> install a unix clone on a PC, I had to choose between 386bsd and
> Linux 0.99.  I found the two systems more or less equal in most
> important areas, because I had no particular sysv/bsd loyalties at
> that time.  Why I chose linux over BSD?  Because I saw the universal,
> single-tree BSD source as centralized, ugly, and fascist.  The linux
> idea of modular and independent source packages struck me as superior,
> both in a practical and aesthetic sense.
>
> I can see how the universal source tree would look very appealing.  But
> please, please try to understand my point of view.  I'm sure I'm not
> the only one who holds it.  Then again, perhaps I am.

I'm not sure if you understand this concept completely.
Yes, it is not as flexible as in the totaly chaotic Linux environment,
BUT you can still go download single packages, compile them and do
whatever you want with them. The important difference is that
what we have as the FSST, *BSD has as a source tree which in effect is the
same, only that they've put in more work so that you can type "make world"
and are done.

BTW: In how far are we (Debian) any different from this ugly and fascist
BSD system ? We have a centralised server, from which all mirrors get the
whole source and binary tree. If we chage it here, everyone that uses
Debian has to follow (or will when he does the next update). See, in this
respect we are just as fscist ang ugly already. This comes with the
protection against "misconfiguration". You take away the freedom of the
user (to destroy his system).......

:-)

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005