Re: A quality relationship

Igor Grubman writes:
-> I keep seeing your messages complaining how hard it is to learn the debian
-> packaging system, and was meaning to respond, but never had the time....
-> I learned how to make a simple package in a matter of 5 or 6 hours at the
-> most.  The way I did it is read through Policy and programmers' manual,
-> then read all the debmake docs, then I tried to assemble a package, and
-> while doing it, I kept referring back to the docs, and examples (such as
-> hello package) Eventually, I was able to build a working debian package.
-> After that, it was much easier to create a second one, and even easier,
-> the third one.  Now, I don't claim to be an expert, and I haven't tried
-> to create a multi-binary, or otherwise complicated package yet, but I
-> wouldn't expect it to be extremely difficult, especially if I would have
-> some other package as a template.

I was beginning to think I was the only one :) As I recall, my first
attempt at making a package (I was packaging xcolorsel to put into my
system smoothly, as I recall) took approximately 2 nights/5-6
hours. Granted, it took a thorough reading of the Policy and
Programmers manuals before some of the more nitpicky things got right,
but it took me far far longer than that to understand make to the
point where I could do more than compile a set of .c files into an
executable. :)

Having said that, I would like to petition again for a standard
template that gives explicit guidance on the trivial cases - those
being  1) a package which uses configure, and 2) X packages with
Imake. Since these 2 cases are generally exceptionally easy to write a
rules file for, it could be reduced to copy the template, uncomment
the lines marked as such, make a control file, and build. (Of course,
more complex packages may require more work, but it's best to start
with the easy case :). I offered to clean up my version for public
consumption, but got no responses.  I want to know my work wouldn't go
to waste if I did this. So, if you'd like to see this, let me know.

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/