Re: Core release test bed (was: Re: Unidentified subject!)

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Richard Jones wrote:
> > Go ahead. But it shouldn't be a package. We already have cvsup as Debian
> > package. With it we could simply establish a server that carries the whole
> > CVS tree. try to develop some sheme where we only need to download/update
> > with CVSUP and then start the compile.
> >

> I agree, most of the coding work has been done to put this in place, something
> I would like to see is a gzip wrapper for cvsup which allows local users to
> store their source compressed and still sup from the main source tree (usually
> you would need to keep an entire source tree uncompressed on your system, not
> much fun if you don't own a hard drive company).  A list of packages and their
> current size/date could be used to avoid uncompressing each bit of the tree to
> check if it needed updating.

It is not that bad. For example the whole source tree of the core system
in FreeBSD is ~150MB. During a make works this swells up to 450MB

I would say pretty much everyone can afford half a gig today.
Heck, alone my Linux _kernel_ source trees that I keep swallow up more.

> > The problem with tis sheme is that we need to reorganize the current
> > package tree. Essential (standard) packages need to go into one
> > directory tree, add-on packages into another, so that you can distinguish
> > between them while downloading with CVSUP.
>
> I think reorgansing would be worth it for the benefits of distrib building
> providing by CVS.  CVS enables you to do all types of funky stuff like keeping
> just one tree for stable and unstable (hell you could even have "very stable"
> like some people have mentioned), and build the stable and very stable
> distributions from this (i.e. set a date at which unstable becomes stable and
> simply build a source tree as of that date), I'm not a CVS guru but I imagine
> there would be some way to do a stable + important fixes build also.

Exactly.

> Also at the risk of boring repition I will say *again* that a CVSUP type
> source tree not only offers a good way of having a distribution built from
> scratch, it also offers huge bandwidth savings as well as added security (if
> both master and maintainer sites are compromised all the checksumming in the
> world will not help [yeah you could store checksums at 3rd party but then what
> if *they* are compromised as well]), now if you think your site is still safe
> CVS diffs will tell you if something bad is happening to the main tree.

Yes. I don't think that I need to add much to that anymore.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005