Re: Core release test bed (was: Re: Unidentified subject!)

> On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Richard Jones wrote:
> >
> > I agree, most of the coding work has been done to put this in place, something
> > I would like to see is a gzip wrapper for cvsup which allows local users to
> > store their source compressed and still sup from the main source tree (usually
> > you would need to keep an entire source tree uncompressed on your system, not
> > much fun if you don't own a hard drive company).  A list of packages and their
> > current size/date could be used to avoid uncompressing each bit of the tree to
> > check if it needed updating.
>
> It is not that bad. For example the whole source tree of the core system
> in FreeBSD is ~150MB. During a make works this swells up to 450MB
>
> I would say pretty much everyone can afford half a gig today.
> Heck, alone my Linux _kernel_ source trees that I keep swallow up more.

Actually I was getting overexcited and was considering the entire 1000+
packages in the entire distribution ;).

Something else, exactly how useful do people find the source tree at the
moment?  In a fit of stupidity I sucked the whole lot
(unstable/contrib/non-free) down my 33.6 link, now that they are here, apart
from the occasional buffer overflow verification they are not of much use
aside from fondling gently and chanting "ahhh with linux I get the source"
over and over.  A CVS tree and one or two tools would drastically change the
utility of the source tree (IMO of course, someone else may find source
fondling an important feature).

Richard Jones