Re: Core release test bed (was: Re: Unidentified subject!)

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Richard Jones wrote:
> > It is not that bad. For example the whole source tree of the core system
> > in FreeBSD is ~150MB. During a make works this swells up to 450MB
> >
> > I would say pretty much everyone can afford half a gig today.
> > Heck, alone my Linux _kernel_ source trees that I keep swallow up more.
> >

> Actually I was getting overexcited and was considering the entire 1000+
> packages in the entire distribution ;).

Yes, the it is considerably more, but we should concentrate on the core
first. If you do it right you can later go in and download subtree by
subtree of the additional packages and compile them seperately. That works
fine.

> Something else, exactly how useful do people find the source tree at the
> moment?  In a fit of stupidity I sucked the whole lot
> (unstable/contrib/non-free) down my 33.6 link, now that they are here, apart
> from the occasional buffer overflow verification they are not of much use
> aside from fondling gently and chanting "ahhh with linux I get the source"
> over and over.  A CVS tree and one or two tools would drastically change the
> utility of the source tree (IMO of course, someone else may find source
> fondling an important feature).

Having the source IS extremely important. It is the only way to debug
something of add features or tweak it otherwise to your needs properly.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005