Re: Core release test bed (was: Re: Unidentified subject!)

> Something else, exactly how useful do people find the source tree at the
> moment?  In a fit of stupidity I sucked the whole lot

I find them useful
	1) as examples for the other packages I maintain
	2) to quickly search for bugs (especially in libc :-) by
simply opening the .tar.gz file in emacs...
	3) to rebuild "special" versions (-g, or with kerberos
support) of things that are already packaged

I'll have to look at the CVSUP stuff that FreeBSD does; it will be
interesting to see how they handle the *major* performance and
non-scaling problems that CVS has, as well as the access control
issues.  It will also be interesting to see how to handle debian-style
"parallel branches" -- CVS handles that very poorly, it's better to
have a single branch for the upstream release and then mini-branches
for the debian-changes for it [a little messier to upgrade, but -j -j
handles it ok.]  Yes, I used to keep my own packages under cvs.
Didn't survive the conversion to the new packaging format, as it
didn't actually *buy* me anything...