Re: Why not to use CVS

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> There's something missing here. Either you are expecting the testing team
> to check in deltas to CVS without going through the developer, or you are
> proposing another use for the CVS archive.

Well actually yes that is what I'm proposing.  At this point, the testers
have the source anyway so they may as well check it in.  The less people
making changes to the source tree, the less chance of an error or typo
mucking things up.

I've not used CVS but I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that it is like RCS
in that you check in source files, it gives them a version number and you
can check them out again using that version number.  This could be useful.
Remember a while back there was someone who wanted buzz but it was no
longer on the ftp site?  I'm imagining a situation where we are up to
Debian 5.0 and someone needs a copy of 3.4.  They do the relevant CVS
commands (or it is done for them, perhaps throgh a web form) and get back
the 3.4 sources which they can build for themselves.  You could keep a
complete historical backup of Debian without wasting a lot of space.

A more likely scenario is needing a back rev of a particular package.  for
instance I use the Microsoft mail and news readers on my Windows box to
get incoming mail from my Linux box with POP3.  Unfortunately It won't
work with newer versions of qpopper so I have to keep using 2.1.4-2.  I
have saved a local copy of it but if anything happens to it I'll have a
problem because it's no longer on the FTP site.  If it was saved in CVS
I'd never have to worry about it.

-- Jaldhar