Features only a developer could love

From: Fabien Ninoles <ninf01@GEL.USherb.CA>
> If USERS can have
> choice between upgrading by binaries or by source, this can only make
> debian more attractive and useful.

I think we may have a problem here. Debian's development is driven by the
developers. This is at once an advantage and a pitfall. Developers tend to
add features that only developers could love.

I sincerely doubt that there is a significant number of people who want to
build their entire system from source (10 people will chime in "I do!", but
you are the developers). However, I agree it's nice to know you _could_
build the system from source, and we need that capability to do ports
anyway, so we're working on it.

This reminds me of Richard Stallman's imperative to distribute all
executables unstripped so that they could be debugged immediately by the
user if there was any problem. A feature only a developer could love.

Please try to put yourselves in the heads of the users when you consider
how to direct the development of the system. For them, Debian is not an
end in itself but a tool to get work done.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.