Re: Features only a developer could love

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Fabien Ninoles <ninf01@GEL.USherb.CA>
> > If USERS can have
> > choice between upgrading by binaries or by source, this can only make
> > debian more attractive and useful.
>
> I think we may have a problem here. Debian's development is driven by the
> developers. This is at once an advantage and a pitfall. Developers tend to
> add features that only developers could love.
>
> I sincerely doubt that there is a significant number of people who want to
> build their entire system from source (10 people will chime in "I do!", but
> you are the developers). However, I agree it's nice to know you _could_
> build the system from source, and we need that capability to do ports
> anyway, so we're working on it.

Bruce you are VERY wrong here.

There are far more people who want to do that.
Read the ISP lists for example. You would be astonished about the

Those people would just LOVE to have something like this..
Many of them already recompile every single binary themselves.

Or think about standalone industrial systems. The application that we are
developing here, will only be sold in one big package, including hardware
and everything. The whole system will be installed either by duming an
image from tape or CDROM on the disks and we wouldn't even consider
putting there a system that we didn't compile ourselves in an very
controlled environment.

Debian developers are only a tiny minority against this.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005