Re: Why not to use CVS

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Richard Jones wrote:

> Apart from these arugments, I seem to remember it mentioned that part of
> Debian's role was seen to develope new linux features that other distributions
> may or may not wish to pick up on.  Now I just checked the manifesto and
> couldn't see anything to this effect, so maybe its was a manufacture memory ;).
> Anyways I think that whilst a packaging system is good (and btw there is no
> need to get rid of a packaging system if a move was made to CVS [although
> source packages *would* seem kinda redundant, there is still room for having a
> set of binary only packages]), I think we could offer some more choice in the
> linux distribution arena by offering a CVS source tree which could work in
> parallel with a packaging system, this would be (AFAIK) a unique Debian
> feature.  Considering lots of people thought the only difference between
> Debian and everyone else was dpkg, perhaps some more "product differentiation"
> wouldn't go astray.

IMHO Richard was again right on the spot with his analysis.

He only didn't clarify one part:

The binary packages wouldn't have to be uploaded either anymore.

Building centrally from the checked out sourcetree
would ensure that everything really fits together.
>From that we can automatically build all the binary
packages then. The code for that is already in place, we only would need
to walk the packages and then move them to the central FTP site.

Mike

Michael Neuffer                i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net             Home of the Debian Master Server.
mike@debian.org                14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.641.8774                   Beaverton, OR 97005