Re: Why not to use CVS

In article <87g1yntk59.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com> you wrote:
:
: 	Yes, but the solution does not have to be a central CVS
:  repository (please correct me if that is not what you meant). Bruce
:  has already voiced what were my concerns with a central CVS
:  repository as well.

I agree.

I think it would be good if someone who knows more about CVS than I do (I'm
using it, but very naively, for several projects) could spend some time
documenting:

    - how to use CVS to do revision control of a package that you maintain

    - how to use CVS to build a local revision control system for the
      sources to all the packages you care about.

In the former case, the target audience is primarily individual developers who
might benefit from having better processes to merge debian-specific diffs with
new upstream releases.  I have some code fragments someone sent me once, but
without some explaination of the branching philosophy they were using, I didn't
make time to figure it out.

In the latter case, the audience I have in mind includes both folks (like me)
who are trying to work on ports to other platforms, for whom being able to keep
track of platform-specific changes in local branches without having to be
slowed down waiting for those changes to be merged in by the normal Debian
maintainer for a package would be good... and folks who consider themselves
particularly at risk for trojans, for whom building locally from source with
scrutiny of each source change would be a feature.

In no case do I wish to see the Debian distribution move to a centralized source
revision control system.  I'd strongly prefer we use tools like CVS where they
are most useful, and continue to exchange packaged sources and objects within
our existing distribution channels.

Bdale