Re: Why not to use CVS

Hi,
>>"Jaldhar" == Jaldhar H Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com> writes:

Jaldhar> A good reason to have this would be QA.  A developer makes a
Jaldhar> package on his machine.  When He thinks its ok, he submits
Jaldhar> the source to the testing team.  They build it and test it
Jaldhar> and when they think its ok, they upload it to the official
Jaldhar> source repository and to master.  This would tremendously cut
Jaldhar> down the number of bugs we get.  Unfortunately it would also
Jaldhar> restrict the developers freedom a little bit but there could
Jaldhar> be a directory called "untested" on the ftp site for stuff
Jaldhar> which can't wait.

	Yes, but the solution does not have to be a central CVS
 repository (please correct me if that is not what you meant). Bruce
 has already voiced what were my concerns with a central CVS
 repository as well.

	I think unstable should be just that: unstable (and
 untested). After the testers get through with it, the package moves
 to tested. (and then to stable).

	Please don't change the dynamics of the new package mechanism,
 at least not until we are sure about basics like the throughput of
 the testing system (I am concerned about a major bottleneck here).

	If people want to live with untested software, they should be
 allowed to; and thus we gain helpers in the testing process (formal
 testing tends to be a slow and ponderous mechanism in my experience,
 this may not be true of the system we set up).

	Should this not be being discussed on debian-devel?

	manoj

--
 Take what you can use and let the rest go by. Ken Kesey