Re: dpkg issues

'Bruce Perens wrote:'

>From: Christoph <debian@waterf.org>
>> They have been pointed out over and over and over again. There are obvious
>> design flaws in dpkg that are not addressed. There are issues with dselect
>> that are never addressed. There is a huge bug list that is not worked on.
>
>> Instead of working on the issues Ian attacks those trying to offer
>> solutions
>
>I'm afraid I have to agree with these points. It's been obvious for a while
>that dpkg is the biggest problem with Debian. I sincerely believe we should
>have given up the fight and made the switch to RPM a while ago. I think it's
>time to do so now.

dpkg has fundamental design advantages over rpm.  Amidst Ian's C++
obfuscated code there are many brilliant ideas.  But we need an active
maintainer(s) for dpkg.  The last time you brought this up I outlined
the sundry shortcomings of rpm.  I'd rather work on solutions than
rehash that material.  I hope we can find someone with the ability to
bring dpkg up-to-date.  I was encouraged by Stuart's post the other
day.  I look forward to reviewing the work of someone who takes the
plunge into dpkg's intricacies.  If I knew C++ better, I might even
try it myself.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com, cjf@onit.net       |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS