Re: Core release test bed

mike@i-Connect.Net (Mike Neuffer)  wrote on 22.02.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.95.970222150344.26542k-100000@nomis.i-Connect.Net>:

> On 22 Feb 1997, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > galenh@micron.net (Galen Hazelwood)  wrote on 21.02.97 in

> > > I'm not so sure I agree with this...but I'll consider it.
> >
> > We're already doing this. That's about what we call "standard" or better.
>
> BUT this "standard" as you call it is not conflict free. At the mometn you
> can not even on a new install enter the dselect selection screen and leave
> it immediately to install only the "standards". It conflicts immeiately on
> Perl.

Nothing wrong with fixing those bugs - because bugs is what they are.

> The problem with tis sheme is that we need to reorganize the current
> package tree. Essential (standard) packages need to go into one
> directory tree, add-on packages into another, so that you can distinguish
> between them while downloading with CVSUP.

I've been thinking about this for a while. Currently, my ideas are about
as follows:

/debian
  /.releases                                  [0]
    /<codeword>
      /{core,addon,contrib,non-free}          [1]
        /{binary-*,source}
          /<section>                          [2]

  /Debian-<version>          -> releases/<codeword>
  /{stable,unstable,fixed}   -> releases/<codeword>

[1] Conceptually, "non-US" fits here, except that for ftp server
management reasons, it probably is a lot better off in a completely
separate tree. "local" also fits here, but again ...

[2] *If* there is a base section, it is only in .../core/..., but even
there, it may be better to do without.

[0] Keep the root directory small! No need to keep all the release
directories there. Optimally, the root would have about 20 directory
entries or less, so it has a good chance of fitting on one screen.

MfG Kai