Re: CVS

Kai wrote:
> There is *one* thing I see CVS doing: we can have a source server.
>
> IMHO, the way to get this is that someone, who has a machine with the
> needed connectivity and disk space, grabs the source packages, unpacks
> them, and feeds them to CVS.
>
> No need to change *anything* we already have.

That's my thinking on it too.  CVS is nice, but it's not a complete
solution for any problem.  But it would be neat to have a central CVS
repository for certain packages, to ease collaboration.  This would
operate much like lists.debian.org -- if someone wants a new mailing
list, it's easy to create.  The same thing could be true if someone
needs a CVS repository for a package they want to work on with
multiple people.

For example, I am using CVS on my system for dwww, just to track changes.
If I used a centralized Debian repository, it may be easier to set
myself up so that people could help me with the development.  Of course,
I'd need more than just a central CVS server to get a functional
distributed development team going -- I'd have to facilitate some form
of communication between the developers so that nobody would step on others
toes.

Actually, I could set up a public repository (for dwww only) today, with
my server, but there would be a lot of setup, and I'm not ready to start
working with a distributed group of developers yet -- there needs to be
some more major changes first.

CVS might be a good option for packages written expressly for Debian (like
dwww or dpkg), but I don't see the value in it for the majority of packages.
It just adds too much complexity -- pretty soon our developers would need
something like a Bachelor of Debian Packaging (B.DP) in order to wrap up
just a simple utility.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim