Re: CVS

mike@i-Connect.Net (Mike Neuffer)  wrote on 24.02.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.95.970224151930.26542w-100000@nomis.i-Connect.Net>:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Richard Jones wrote:

[snipped]

> I don't think, this needs to be commented.
>
> You are IMO right on the spot in all points.

Well, I find it highly unconvincing.

> Why re-invent something that some of the (IMHO) brightest people
> on this planet have worked on  and refined for about 30 years.
> Something that that has broven over and over that it is a good
> thing to do ?

Maybe because these are two very different things that solve two very
different problems?

There is *one* thing I see CVS doing: we can have a source server.

IMHO, the way to get this is that someone, who has a machine with the
needed connectivity and disk space, grabs the source packages, unpacks
them, and feeds them to CVS.

No need to change *anything* we already have.

That is, treat CVS as completely orthogonal to what we do today. I think
that is what we really need.

> Do we need to change these things just because we want to be different ?

No. Keep our current mode of work. It is already proven. No need to
exchange it for CVS just to be different.

MfG Kai