Re: AW: Resignation

Bruce knows better than I  do what happened, but let me take a shot at
describing the situation.

I) It's really tough being a leader.  Leaders reap obvious benefits, but
they also get knocked around a lot, sometimes fairly, sometimes
unfairly.
II) It's even tougher being a leader for a bunch of people with good
tech skills, where "communication skill" is pretty optional
III) It's tougher still being a leader for a bunch of active
antiestablishmentarians

Folks, we keep saying we need Bruce as a leader, but then we don't let
him lead.

There was the CD-ROM thing.  There was the RC5 thing.  There was even
the gated thing.  I'm pretty sure there were more.

Honestly, if we can't preserve a decent relationship with a good leader,
the group perhaps doesn't deserve to HAVE a good leader.   It isn't
quite enough to say "I didn't do anything to him."  You also need to
back him up when people start jumping on his case for doing what he was
elected to do.  That's more true for debian than most things,
because...   folks on the net just tend to disagree pretty brashly.

Bruce, I imagine some things are really stinging right now.   I think it
was a very good suggestion:  to take off a week, and then re-evaluate.
I personally think debian has been greatly better off for your
leadership, whether we've (collectively) managed to show that or not.
I sincerely hope you'll at least find yourself feeling comfortable with
remaining on the BoD, but I'd personally prefer it (greatly) if you
remained our leader.

Michael Meskes wrote:

  Huh, that's a harsh reaction. What happened? I guess I should stay
  more
  up-to-date with what's going on on our lists.

  Michael

  debian-private list.