Re: AW: Resignation

First of all: this is not meant as a personal attack on anybody. In
situations like these, you can't seem to say this too often.

strombrg@hydra.acs.uci.edu (Dan Stromberg)  wrote on 27.02.97 in <3315A742.32F4@hydra.acs.uci.edu>:

> Folks, we keep saying we need Bruce as a leader, but then we don't let
> him lead.
>
> There was the CD-ROM thing.  There was the RC5 thing.  There was even
> the gated thing.  I'm pretty sure there were more.

Actually, this list demonstrates that "not letting him lead" is far too
simple a description. (It's not completely wrong, either.)

What I missed in all this - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - were
attempts to get input from the developers *before* decisions. (Just to
make this clear, I have no intention of rehashing specific examples.)

Sure, someone should be able to have the last word.

But it being the last word somehow implies there being other words before.

A while back, this seemed to work quite good. From memory, we had a
warning "we need to find a solution on X, please try to come up with one,
otherwise I'll decide", and sometimes later "it seems there will be no
consensus, so this is it". However, lately, at least IMHO, it has
deteriorated pretty badly. We had more and more situations where, without
any previous warning (at least that I could see), there suddenly was a
fiat decision in a situation where it had not even been expected.

That's bad for morale. (And it also makes for the occasional bad decision.
Note that not all the above decisions where bad, however.)

> Honestly, if we can't preserve a decent relationship with a good leader,
> the group perhaps doesn't deserve to HAVE a good leader.   It isn't
> quite enough to say "I didn't do anything to him."  You also need to
> back him up when people start jumping on his case for doing what he was
> elected to do.  That's more true for debian than most things,
> because...   folks on the net just tend to disagree pretty brashly.

Especially when they get commanded around pretty brashly. And this did
happen.

My impression was that a while back, this was going a lot better from
*both* sides. I don't know who made the original wrong turn here, and I
don't think it even matters.

However, the blame is not all on one side. (Of course, it almost never
is.)

So, my personal summary:

Whoever will take leading positions in the project (this goes for more
people than just the project leader) - try not to give the impression that
your decisions are made without input, without prior discussion.

And the rest of us, voice any objections in that prior discussion (and
also any support); when it is over, and some sort of decision has been
made, if at all possible, live with it and shut up. There'll be other
topics to discuss.

MfG Kai