Re: Possible withdrawal of hwtools

Austin,

let's continue the discussion on debian-private.

On Thu, Feb 27 1997, you wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
>
> > I'm considering removing the low level scsi stuff (scsidev & scsiinfo)
> > from the hwtools package.

> > When working on the hwtools package, scsi-info (a Tk GUI for scsiinfo)
> > looked up my AHA1542B's SCSI bus. While I suspect this was caused by my
      ^ as you may have noticed this should read "locked"; sorry for the typo
> > shaky CDROM, I'm not sure whether releasing tools that can break your system
> > is a Good Thing.

> > IMO a warning that you should know what you are doing in the package
>
> Please don't: Debian works because it offers the latest utilities to
> match bleeding edge kernels.  Not releasing a package because it's
> dangerous merely antagonises the kind of people who like to live on
> the edge.

My primary concern is not being on the bleeding edge, I rather want to
see a really stable "stable" distribution and I'm reluctant of including
a program that may make your system unusable.

Taking the liberty to cite from my message what you omitted:

> > Maybe a separate scsitools package should go into experimental.

IMO this will suit those who want to live on the edge.

> Yes, dire warnings should be present - if people ignore them, that's
> their own fault.  The package should not do anything by default, it
> should merely make the tools available.  For instance, it shouldn't
> attempt to do automatic optimisation of your hard disc :)

BTW: scsidev and scsiinfo come from tsx-11's ALPHA directory. Did I
     miss a policy change?

  -- Siggy

--
Siggy Brentrup <bsb@debian.org> aka: bsb@uni-muenster.de
PGP fingerprint = C8 95 66 8C 75 7E 10 A2  05 61 C7 7F 05 B6 A4 DF