Re: source packages and upstream source

Hi,
>>"Mark" == Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

>> ``So what?''?! Well, so, this means do not require that we *always*
>> have the upstream file untouched in our uploads.

Mark> OHHHHhhh.  Yeah, sure that's fine :-) I just want to be able to
Mark> use them unmodified when we *can*...

Mark> So we need to *relax* the current policy about .orig, and get it
Mark> to permit name-version tars.  Or at least we need to convince
Mark> Ian Jackson that this is the right thing, and get him to accept
Mark> patches to dpkg-source to deal...

      I think we may have to do more than that. Just permitting
 name-ver.tar.gz is not enough: consider: if they unpack in name-ver/,
 and that is where thde veloper has the debianized source, then
 depk-source would hose ther debianized tree when it uppacks the
 original.

     What we need is something like this to go into the Policy guide,
 and become the newest version of source packaging.

1) name-ver.tar.gz         Upstream tarred sources (maybe repackaged,
                           if they had a strange name or unpack into a
                           strange dir (like angband being called
                           newwin32fix.tar.gz and unpacking into
                           current dir)
2) name-ver/               Where the upstream source unpacks into
                           (*NOT* the debianized tree)
3) name-ver.debian         *This* is the working debianized tree
4) name_ver-deb-revision*  Package files are created with this
                           prefix (dsc, diffs, deb, etc)

	We would need to rework the packaging tools to use this ny
 default (and warn if .orig directories were found).

	 Manoj

--
 Seen on the wall in a New York subway station: "There are no integers
 n > 2 and x, y, z > 0, such that x^n + y^n = z^n I have found a truly